Sunday, November 28, 2010

Banking with(out) Chase

So today I received a letter from my bank, Chase, telling me that beginning in February, my checking account will no longer be free. This annoys me for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I have had my account for 8 years back when it was Washington Mutual. When Chase took over, I was told everything from my free account would stay the same.. Obviously this is not the case.


Secondly, they want to charge a $10 monthly checking fee. Now, I hate to be a cheapskate, but $120 a year just to keep my money somewhere? I have a problem with this because I never go into the bank to see a teller. I don't even use ATMs. I never withdraw cash. I pay everything online or with a credit card. And i don't write checks so the free checkbooks don't help me.

Also, my checking fee would be waived if I had a direct deposit transaction each month of $500+. Sucks to be me though, as my jobs do not offer direct deposit. And even if they did, it must be $500 in one direct deposit. I get paid weekly, so even if my direct deposit was, say, $400 a week, I still do not qualify.

Another option to waive the fee would be to keep $1,500 in my checking account at all times. But I thought that's what having a SAVINGS account is for... to save money.. and keep money in there at all times. And sadly I am not yet a multi-millionaire and do not have enough to keep my checking constantly at that amount.

It looks like I will have to say goodbye to Chase, as much as I love depositing my checks from my iphone and never having to go to a bank or atm everrr. I am currently investigating my other options. Bank of America's eBanking seems appropriate for me. Or maybe a credit union.

No comments:

Post a Comment