Monday, November 15, 2010

Enchanted Music Festival

At first I was not going to use my blog as a personal diary, but my friend convinced me that my life is more interesting than most people's lives, despite what I think. So, here is my weekend recap:

Saturday, my friends threw a party called Enchanted Music Festival. I offered to help out, and my task was picking up a dubstep dj at LAX. I felt semi-weird holding up a sign that read CHRISPY, as I did not even know his real name... or what he looked like for that matter. All I knew is he was a teenager from Wales.

As I waited, I saw toddlers come off the plane running to hug their mommies. I saw a dog get so incredibly excited when his owner appeared. I saw some military guys just happy to be back. It was kinda cool. Two hours later, the heartfelt reunions were becoming trite. My sign did me no good, but I finally spotted a young hipster kid and it turned out to be the right guy.

He also ended up being an incredibly quiet guy, as the nearly silent 1 1/2 hour car ride proved. It was his first time leaving Europe, so maybe he was just nervous?  Or he thought I was an annoying host? I'm hoping it was the former. I think he is a nice guy though. I'm really excited for him. His career is just now taking off, and he is still so young. He should be really proud of himself.






The party itself was good. About 5,000 people dancing their hearts out for 10 hours. As for me, I think I spent most of my time drinking the free alcohol backstage; however, having the bartender be a frail and unsanitary old man seemed to offset the desire for alcohol. When we got our refills, he scooped ice into our cups straight from the cooler. He noticed the ice chunks were too big, so he dug it out with his hands, crushed it on the table, and slid the crushed ice off the counter and back into our cups. Then he proceeded to serve me vodka and coca cola. Vodka and coke?! Really? Jack and coke maybe. Or vodka and cranberry. All the necessary ingredients were right there and he chooses vodka and coke?! (Un)Luckily, we were drunk enough to not mind and to keep coming back for drink after drink. And tip. In retrospect, I feel disgusting now.

There was a lot of great talent at the event, a few international djs. I had an awesome time dancing on stage to Brennan Heart. Although, his hard dance / hardstyle seems to be an acquired taste... as I have friends who compare that genre to the sound of "killing kittens." And for those of you unfamiliar with electronic acts, here's the Enchanted trailer which does a good job of educating you about the artists:




But good times were had. The party was poppin. And that was my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment