Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kaboom

I just discovered that one of my favorite directors has a new indie comedy. That amazing director being Gregg Araki... and his newest film is Kaboom.


His new film seems promising to me. He says it goes back to his 90s style of film, which includes ridiculous WTF sci-fi end-of-the-world plotlines, pop-art color values, offensively witty dialogue, and of course sex and drugs. Let's just say I am more than excited. It premiered at Cannes Film Festival last year and will be shown at Sundance. If you happen to live in NY or LA there will be one screening in each at the end of January. Without further ado, i present the trailer for Kaboom:





And now a little background about why I love Gregg Araki. He is probably most known for his drama "Mysterious Skin," starring awesome Joseph-Gordon Levitt. Surprisingly, that was not one of my favorite films of his. He also did the stoner comedy "Smiley Face" with the talented Anna Faris, which also did not make my Araki favorites. I tend to like his older, 90s flicks... which is why I am so incredibly excited for Kaboom.

I first discovered his "Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy" when I was in high school... I think I found his film "Nowhere (1997)" as a discount VHS and it seemed compelling enough to buy. I am so glad I did. Its cast included the soon-to-be stars: Heather Graham, Ryan Phillippe, Scott Caan, Mena Suvari as well as Beverly D'Angelo, Shannen Doherty, Rose McGowan, John Ritter, and Christina Applegate. Araki described the film as "A Beverly Hills, 90210 episode on acid," and I agree. After the film, I could only think WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?! After some research I discovered that was the third film in the trilogy, so I was on a quest to find the others.

Yes, that's an alien

Indie films are so hard to find. But after special ordering online, I found the second film, "The Doom Generation (1995)," starring Rose McGowan, with cameos by Parker Posey and Margaret Cho. This black comedy also had an erotically violent WTF ending. I decided I HAD TO FIND THE FIRST FILM.

After years of searching, I finally found a copy this week. "Totally Fucked Up (1993)" is currently on my computer and I am waiting to watch it. Not sure how I feel about having seen these films in backwards order, but even though the films seem like they don't make sense, artistically they have so much depth and interpretation. After reading interviews with Araki, he has so many layers and reasons for why he wrote/directed as he did. It is so amazing to watch something over and over and interpret it differently each time.

So, if you are down for some offensively-weird sci-fi candy-colored sex-filled drug-sprinkled entertainment... check out his stuff. if you can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment