Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, & Radiation... Oh, My!

I will refrain from explaining the catastrophic events taking place in Japan at the moment, because I'd like to think the few people who do read my blog are educated enough to know all this. But I has a few other tangents to discuss about all this ish.


So Gilbert Gottfried got fired from Aflac (he does the voice of the duck) because he made some (insensitive?) Japan jokes via twitter. I understand that people think we're supposed to be praying to our gods, or donating money to the red cross, or giving our condolences at this time... but they were just jokes. I am a huge fan of ill-timed, too-soon jabs, and I don't understand how he can be fired from a job for his personal comments.

His jokes, which have since been deleted, were kind of funny to me: "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them." or "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'They'll be another one floating by any minute now.'"

Anyway, my condolences to Gilbert Gottfried, who I will always remember as the voice of Iago in Aladdin.

My next gripe is with the UCLA youtube sensation that is Alexandra Wallace. Instead of explaining, just watch the video if you haven't seen it:





Now, me being (half) asian and all, I did not find this offensive. I actually laughed. Asian people dooo always have their extended families doing everything for them. And yeah there are annoying, usually korean, girls "ling long ting tong"-ing on their cell phones. I don't think you can call these racist stereotypes cuz these people really do exist. Just like how stupid blonde bimbos exist and manage to get into UCLA in the first place. Maybe I'm just insensitive, but I don't think this girl deserves all the negative media attention. I think she should use the fame to be a D-list stand-up comedian...

And in case you have friends or family in Japan right now, remember AT&T offers free cell-phone calls to Japan until March 31. And Verizon offers free calls until April 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment